Sunday, May 9, 2010

The High Cost of iRacing

Now that iRacing allows hosting races with multiple car types - but requires every participant in such a race to own all the cars in that race - the clubs I race with are debating whether to adopt multiplayer racing. One of the big concerns is the cost of buying the cars.

I'd like to weigh in here on the "high" cost of iRacing. Compared to other sims, yes, it's more expensive. Three cars roughly equals the cost of most other sims. But with iRacing you get so much more: incredibly detailed car models, which all feel drastically different from each other, plus constant development, improvement, and expansion, and a large, well-supported online community.

This is very unlike other sims, where ostensibly very different cars often feel so similar that it's hard to distinguish between them in terms of handling; where the community is fragmented; and where you're lucky if you get a handful of patches in the multi-year wait before the next release.

And you can drive iRacing's cars on amazingly detailed and accurate laser-scanned tracks, which are not available anywhere else. (The tracks scanned for rFactor don't compare, because rF's track modeling uses polygons, which hides the details, and the scanning is not anywhere as high resolution as iRacing's.) I've driven Mosport, NHMS, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, and Lime Rock in real life, and I can tell you that the accuracy of iRacing's versions of these tracks is astonishing.

Instead of comparing the cost of iRacing to the cost of other sims, I prefer to compare it to the cost of real-world track time. After all, with the accuracy of the car and track models, and the superb force feedback, iRacing is pretty darn close to the real thing.

What do you miss out on with iRacing that you'd get in real life? The inertial feedback, of course, and the wind in your face and the sun on your skin. These are nice - unless you get a sunburn!

You also miss out on the risk of wrecking your car and hurting yourself. And the huge cost and effort of maintaining a car for the track and getting it and yourself there and back. When I was running my Cobra in seven or eight two-day time trial (not racing) events per year, I was spending four or five thousand dollars each year - not including development of the car. That could be thousands more.

This was for track days which were mostly practice sessions, with single-car, three lap time trials on the afternoon of the second day. No wheel to wheel racing at all, ever. If you want to do that, you have to go with a club like SCCA or NASA, and you spend much more.

Compared to those costs, iRacing is a fantastic deal. For what I'd spend for a handful of events in the real world, I can race for years in iRacing, and own every car and track they produce.

Fifteen bucks each for a car that I can drive on fabulous race tracks all over the world, with never a lick of maintenance?

I'll take it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Iracing is a total scam ripoff with no offline mode.

Unknown said...

I'm happy to see you still pursue online racing,and do it with style.
Iracing is better than NOracing !

I knew in the real world,you were a tester & programmer for GPL..not to mention a talented pilot,and driver.I loved you,and raced you whenever i had the chance !!

You and i lined up side by side at Silverstone once.Row 3 of a full grid.We were perfectly matched on that track...both of us were consistant,solid,clean drivers.
We battled for the first 5 laps...just you and i.I was soo nervous ! I couldn't drive properly,but managed to stay in contact.The pressure finally got to me on lap 5.I came in a wee bit hot,and wasn't going to risk taking out THE Alison Hine...so i went farming.

Alison,to this day,that race is the fondest memory i have of any race,in any sim.
I wish i could join ya in Iracing,but i can't afford it.

I hope your illness has subsided,and wish you the best !

Alisonnic said...

Carter, thank you for your comment! It's great to hear from a longtime GPL fan - and one who actually remembers me! LOL!

I'm sorry you went off in that race at Silverstone, but I'm glad you enjoyed racing with me. I'm blown away that it was so memorable. Thank you!

I hope you can join iRacing at some point. It's a great sim racing environment, and a very worthy successor to GPL. Unfortunately I've been too ill to race for the past year, but I'm still hoping to get back to it sometime.

Best wishes!

Alison

PS. I wasn't a programmer on GPL, just an unpaid beta tester.